Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 25...Rest and Recovery

Today was rest and recovery from the wild day we had yesterday. The ‘Warrior Dash’ was a blast and I had a ton of fun running the race. It was WAY more difficult than I had expected and I did not properly hydrate so I was hurting most of the race, but being the Ninja that I am I grabbed suck and carried on!!!
We did indulge in a bit of alcohol, but nothing too bad. I had one beer at after the race and Jen had two. We did have a few more drinks after getting home and stayed up pretty late…our diet wasn’t as nutritious as it could have been either, it was however, our first REAL official ‘free day’ in Body-for-Life terms. I do have some regret as I had planned on completing the 12 week challenge without alcohol, but I made the choice and will live with it.
Tomorrow we will get up and hit it hard, jumping right back in! There is no more re-starts…this is about more than just 12 weeks…this is for LIFE…so we have to have to be honest with ourselves and have a feasible-working plan that we can actually live with. We’ve decided that alcohol is not inherently bad, but it has caused a lot of problems in our past and has derailed most all our challenge attempts. So, that being realized we are not going to go back to the usual ‘free day drink fest’ we use to have. If a special event comes up where alcohol is involved then was may have a drink or two, other than that we will try our best to stay the course and finish strong. This way we are not setting ourselves up for failure and at the same time we are not letting ourselves get out of control.
To me is all about taking responsibility of our lives in every aspect; health, fitness and all parts. Life is a process and Jen and I continue to grow and lean throughout this process. A friend reminded me that if nothing else, our kids are worth us giving our best. Our best would not be drinking all the time, but our best may also not be totally abstaining to the point of feeling like we have no control of our life. What ever our 'best' is...this IS what we truly want to give...we are learning. Maybe the stronger-more controlled life woul be to totally not drink...
Time will tell…so I regret that if I had chosen NOT to drink yesterday…I would have eaten better today and most assuredly have worked out. Otherwise, I don’t regret the choice, because I woke up…not depressed and ready to continue the journey : ))) I guess not everyday can be perfect and its hard sometimes for me to admit and accept my own imperfections.
Another life lesson!
Many blessings!
~Rob

1 comment:

  1. Im glad you both enjoyed the Warrior Dash. What an extreme sport! Alot of the battle of completing a 12 week challenge is the voices in our heads that either applaud us or criticize our choices. Sounds like you learned a valuable lesson this weekend and you are including it as part of your challenge and continuing on. Huge step up ... congratulations. Get back on track as fast as you can - you both are on such a roll right now. AMAZING scale weight loss in only 3 weeks! Imagine what another 9 is going to do! One "free day" a week ... YOU GOT THIS!

    ReplyDelete