Thursday, March 3, 2011

Niacin not so friendlicin

So last night after we finished eating I took my normal vitamins which includes Niacin…the only difference was I was out of my normal brand and opened a new bottle that I had never tried. I took two (my normal) dose amount and sat down to update this blog. I wrote out the post and told Jen I was going to take a bath. As I was getting ready to take my bath I noticed in the mirror I looked a little flush. I knew that this was one of the side effects of the Niacin, but had never experienced it personally. I walked out to shoe Jen and the kids when all of a sudden I started burning all over…
The next 4 hours were a complete hell!!! My whole body turned a BEET RED and I couldn’t move without tingling pain all over. I took 2 Benadryl and laid down trying not to move. Jen was worried and wanted to take me to the emergency room…I told her to Google Niacin and sure enough, I was having a reaction that seems to be normal in some cases. I don’t know if I took too much or what…maybe the brand gets the niacin from a different source…I had already thrown my old bottle away so I’ll have to check later. Either way I woke up around 12:30am and all the pain and redness was gone, but then I couldn’t go back to sleep for two more hours! One miserable night to say the least…When I finally did get out of bed I was sooo sore and felt drained of ALL energy, not sure if that was from the Benadryl or the niacin…but needless to say I didn’t take any today : )
So yeah, today was a rest day and hopeful we’ll be hitting it hard again tomorrow!!! 
Beware if you decide to try Niacin…
~Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment